Normally, as people grow older they become more inactive. They spend more time sitting or lying in their homes which is not good for their health at all. Research revealed that regular physical activities and exercise improves mental and physical health of older people. Now, many older people cannot get up in the morning and hit the gym for their physical condition. Indoor exercise can be a very good option for them. Recumbent bikes can help older people to stay fit and active.Recumbent bikes are suggested for those who seek to have a comfortable, flexible, and easy-going indoor cycling experience. These bikes come with backrests enabling riders to enjoy cycling in a reclined position. This added comfort to the rider’s back makes recumbent bike the best exercise equipment for older persons, senior citizens whose physical condition does not permit them to do any traditional workout. Even players or younger people who sustained back injuries can use recumbent bikes for it puts less pressure on their backs and joints while cycling.
Recumbent bikes make a great deal of positive impact on riders’ lower body muscles including quadriceps, hamstrings, calves, and glutes. Like regular bikes, spin bikes, recumbent bikes also come with variety of features including different modes of cycling, digital monitoring systems tracking calories burnt, heartbeat, speed, and distance covered.
What are the best recumbent bikes for seniors? What are the best recumbent bikes for a young man who sustained a serious injury? Well, there are no straightforward answers to these questions. There are so many different recumbent bikes packed with different features catering to different demographics, older people who want to stay active, younger people and so on.
In this article, I am going to talk about recumbent bikes that are very good for seniors, older persons.
Table Chart of Page Contents
- 1 01. Marcy ME-709 Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 2 02. SCHWINN 270 Recumbent Bike
- 3 03. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- 4 04. Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike NS-40502R
- 5 05. Schwinn Fitness 230 Recumbent Bike
- 6 06. Marcy Regenerating Magnetic Recumbent Bike ME-706
- 7 07. Nautilus R618 Recumbent Bike
- 8 08. Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-1019R
- 9 09. Marcy NS-1201R Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 10 10. Comfort XL Folding Semi-Recumbent Bike – SF-B2721
01. Marcy ME-709 Magnetic Resistance Recumbent Exercise Bike
- The Marcy ME-709 recumbent bike is the best option for older people who live in small houses. Measuring 37.5 inches in height, 20 inches in width, and 58 inches in length, this bike from Marcy can be easily accommodated in a living room or within a small space.
- The bike has 8 pre-set levels of magnetic resistance. You have to manually set up the resistance before workout.
- Marcy ME-709 sports magnetic flywheel, belt drive, and a solid pulley with steel crank arms and weighted pedals with adjustable strips.
- It has two non-adjustable handlebars. One is located under the seat while the other in front. Based on your exercise style, you can use any of these handlebars.
- An LCD display providing information such as duration, speed, distance, and calories burnt, makes it easier to monitor progress over a while.
02. SCHWINN 270 Recumbent Bike
- SCHWINN 270 is a carbon steel high-end recumbent bike primarily intended for tech-savvy users.
- It features Bluetooth technology, enabling you to monitor your heart rate, time, speed, and calories burnt in real-time on the dual-track LCD monitor via SCHWINN trainer app.
- The Bluetooth connectivity also makes it VR compatible, allowing users to dabble in a whole new world of virtual reality while cycling indoor.
- It also comes pre-loaded with 29 programs for various purposes and features 25 levels of friction resistance.
- Upon assembled the bike measure 64 inches in length, 27.7 inches in width and 50 inches in height. It weighs 86.6 pounds. The bike has two sets of non-adjustable handlebars, a two-way adjustable padded seat with back support and bottle-holder.
- It has a 17lbs flywheel and belt drive and big pulley. The flywheel is small but heavy meaning it would offer smooth and quiet ride.
- The bike has an electromagnetic brake system thus requiring an external power source to operate the tension. It comes with 120V 60Hz AC Input, 9VDC, 1.5A output AC power adapter.
03. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- This foldable semi-recumbent bike from Exerpeutic can accommodate a user with weight up to 300 pounds. Its padded seat and back support can fit in users with a height between 5’2″ and 6’2″. It is another great low-cost recumbent bike for senior people.
- With a weight of just 43 pounds and a dimension of 20 inches in length, 17 inches in width, and 54 inches in height, this is one of the most lightweight and space-saving recumbent bikes around.
- The 3.3 inch large LCD display monitors time, speed, distance covered, burnt calories, and heart rate.
- The two-way adjustable seat can be moved up and down ranging from 25 inches from the floor to 30 inches.
- With its V-belt double-drive transmission and precision-balanced flywheel, Exerpeutic 400XL offers noise-free cycling. It has magnetic resistance with 8 preset levels.
04. Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike NS-40502R
- The Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike NS-40502R is another affordable recumbent bike model. After assembling, the bike measures 56.7 inches in length, 24.8 inches in width, and 43.3 inches in height and weighs 69 lbs.
- The durable steel alloy steel construction of the bike allows it to support a maximum weight of 300 lbs.
- The rear base comes with adjustable levelers. There is another adjustable stabilizer is located at the connection point of two frames.
- The bike has belt drive and manual magnetic resistance system with 8 preset levels. By turning the knob you can increase or decrease the resistance. There is a small magnetic brake. The weighted-design pedals have a non-slip surface and adjustable straps.
- There are two sets of handlebars. The seat handlebar and gives you more stability. It is non-adjustable. The front handlebar is located under the digital console. Both handlebars are covered by a rubber foam material for better grip.
- The LCD display tracks time, distance, speed, calories burned and odometer.
05. Schwinn Fitness 230 Recumbent Bike
- The Schwinn Fitness 230 recumbent bike lacks several features available in the 270 models. However, this model also comes with a lower price tag.
- After assembled, the bike stands 64 inches in length, 27.7 inches in width and 44 inches in height with a total weight 81.5 lbs. It can support a maximum 300 lbs of body weight.
- The Schwinn 230 MY20 features an internal bi-directional flywheel allowing the rider to pedal in reverse. It has a belt drive system and uses stretch-resistant poly-v belt.
- This 230 model, still, offers a whole host of features including Bluetooth connectivity, 13 pre-loaded workout programs, and 16 different intensity levels in its magnetic resistance system.
- The user can track his progress through various apps and programs on the 5.5” LCD display. It will provide information on time elapsed, speed, heart rate etc. also available for you to check and keep track of.
- The seat and the backrest are designed to maximize air movement and to ensure consistent, comfortable cycling for long hours.
06. Marcy Regenerating Magnetic Recumbent Bike ME-706
- Released in 2018, ME-706 is one of the mid-range recumbent bikes from Marcy. The 100 lbs bike is made of steel and comes coated with a rust-resistance paint finish.
- It has a self-generating motorized magnetic resistance system and belt drive.
- Its large screen LCD display is preloaded with 23 programs intended for different functions such as, measuring heart rate and body fat. Users can also check exercise-related metrics including time, speed, body fat, RPM, pulse, and many more.
- With a weight of 99 pounds, it may not look an easier tool to move, but transportation wheels give it greater mobility.
- Marcy ME-706 also offers 24 levels of pre-set magnetic resistance mechanism and is can self-regenerate its power, a feature not available in any other recumbent bike from Marcy.
07. Nautilus R618 Recumbent Bike
- Like the ME-706 bike, the Nautilus R618 recumbent bike is a heavy bike. After assembling, the bike measures 67.3 inches in length, 26.4 inches in width, and 48.8 inches in height.
- The ergonomic two-way adjustable seat is 16 inches wide. It has a thick layer of gel cushioning and contoured surface. The vented-design backrest will help users cool off during workout. This bike is good for older people who want to have a comfortable seat and enjoy their workout.
- The motor-assisted magnetic resistance system requires external power. Before riding the bike, you have to connect it to an external power source with an AC power adapter comes with the bike.
- It has Bluetooth supported real-time updates of workout metrics via Nautilus Trainer 2 app on the large LCD display.
- Bluetooth-enabled VR experience is also available for this bike. Users just need to subscribe to a VR app like ‘Explore the World’ to enjoy and explore the world in virtual reality.
- It features 29 preloaded workout programs that users can customize as per their needs.
- The dual-mode LCD screen makes for easy navigation of apps and programs.
- Weighing over 100 pounds, this recumbent bike can support up to 325 pounds of user weight.
08. Marcy Magnetic Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-1019R
- The bike is 57 inches in length, 25 inches width, and 45inches in height. The seat base measures 16.5 inches by 12.5 inches. Both the seat and the backrest are covered with high-density foam ensuring comfort during long workout. The seat can be moved front and back to accommodate a person up to 6 feet 2 inches. If you are looking for a recumbent bike that will allow you to do low-intensity cardio workout then this is the bike for you.
- The LCD display of the bike can track time, speed, distance, calories, odometer, pulse.
- The bike has manual magnetic resistance with eight preset levels. By turning the knob, the user can set up the resistance according to his workout intensity.
- The bike has a back and front handlebars. The back handlebar, located behind the seat, has pulse sensors to monitor user’s heart rate during workout. The front handlebar is near the monitor.
- The rear crossbar sports two polygonal stabilizers. There is another stabilizer under the main two-piece frame bar. The front crossbar at the base has transport wheels.
- The nylon material pedals with metallic core and adjustable straps offer better grip during workouts.
09. Marcy NS-1201R Recumbent Exercise Bike
- This alloy steel bike’s dimension is 52.5 inches length, 46.5 inches height, and 25 inches width, and weighs 70 lbs. It can support a maximum 300 lbs of bodyweight. Because of the step-through design user can easily get on and off the bike.
- The bike has manual magnetic resistance with 8 preset levels. The rider can increase or decrease the resistance based on the nature of his or her workout.
- The LCD monitor comes with LED backlight and a very user-friendly interface. It tracks your distance, speed time, odometer, and calories burned. With the click of one button, it will present all the information you need to know.
- The two-way adjustable seat with backrest will allow user to set up the bike according to his or her leg length. The durable vinyl pads make it comfortable allowing user to workout for extended period.
- The counterbalanced pedals comes with adjustable foot straps.
- There are two handlebars with thick foam pads to ensure better grip. The assist bars located on the back of the seat will offer more balance. The other handlebar is located in the front. Based on your height or workout style, you can use any handlebar.
10. Comfort XL Folding Semi-Recumbent Bike – SF-B2721
- A dimension of 32 inches (length) by 21 inches (width) by 49 inches (height) comes down to half when folded. By changing the frame incline, you can easily convert this semi-recumbent bike into a regular spin bike.
- It comes equipped with 3. 3 lbs flywheel, and belt drive. It has a magnetic resistance system that offers 10 levels of pre-set magnetic tension control. There is also a magnetic brake attached to the knob.
- A large, two-way adjustable seat and back support with full padding and LCD monitor displaying time, speed, calories burnt, distance, pulse rate, and odometer to keep track of your progress.
- Two sets of handlebars. The adjustable seat handlebar can be used for better balance. The front handlebar has contact pulse sensor to measure heart rate during workout.
- The bike’s self-leveling pedals, made of heavy-duty plastic, come with adjustable straps. There is bottle-holder behind the backrest.
Using a recumbent bike a person can get all the benefits of a great cardio workout such as burning calories, losing weight, stay fit. For this reason, recumbent bikes have become very popular. Senior people, older persons with health conditions or younger persons suffering from serious injury can easily use a recumbent bike. Some of the things to keep in mind before purchasing a recumbent bike are good fit, regular exercise, and varying your intensity. You should be able to properly sit in the bike, you should exercise regularly and as you progress you increase the resistance thus increasing your intensity.